With Playstation Experience coming to a close in 2017, we the gamers received all sorts of exciting and new trailers, gameplay footage, and announcements. I was graced with the opportunity to attend Playstation Experience for the first time, and it felt like a nerdy dream came true. The convention was a haven for gamers of all sorts who loved Sony’s wildly successful console; there were photo ops, live gaming tournaments, fantastic displays, and of course… a ton of games to play.
For what was relatively a small space compared to most major conventions, I was shocked that they were able to fit so many gaming booths. Even with so many games on display, five titles stood out above the rest.
Here are 5 of Playstation’s Next Heavy Hitters:
1. Monster Hunter World: The critically acclaimed Capcom product will be making it’s Sony debut on the PS4 January 26th, 2018 and is sure to blow people away. After I got my hands on it at PSX, I had to go home and play the open beta with my pals. Monster Hunter World successfully lives up to its title as it makes me feel like a true monster hunter, searching for all sorts of gigantic beasts. One of the best things about MHW is its size and longevity. The game has a vast open world to explore and grants you with the freedom to dive into that world however you like, whether it’s through your playstyle, what quests you take, or what strategy you and your party will use to defeat a beast. Keep an eye on this game, ladies and gents.
2. Far Cry 5: Ubisoft is trending upward after having a rough patch a couple of years ago. Ubisoft is having a great 2017 with Assassins Creed: Origins, For Honor, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I think their latest streak of solid games will continue into 2018 with Far Cry 5. I like that the new installment of the series has its players venturing into a small town to battle a cult, I think that direction is fun and unique compared to the theme of most games. Far Cry 5 is also implementing companions, which debuted in Far Cry Primal, which means you get to blow s*** up with a partner you can command, my favorite of the companions being Boomer, a dog. Yes, a dog. Far Cry 5 is scheduled to release March 27th next year, so don’t miss it.
3. Detroit Become Human: I won’t be getting my L.A. Noire sequel anytime soon, but I will be getting something better, this game. I love games where every decision you make matters, and that’s what Detroit Become Human brings to the table. I like games that seem to predict what our future is going to be like accurately. We haven’t seen much about DBH. However, the game lets you play throughout multiple scenarios and gives you the freedom to choose which way to address different threats, whether it’s a hostage situation or an abusive parent. Keep Detroit Become Human on your radar.
4. Marvel’s Spider-Man: I’m sure I can just say “It’s Spider-man.” and be on with it, but I can’t help but talk about why I’m so excited for this game. For beginners, there aren’t that many good superhero games out there besides the Batman series, which may or may not get a sequel. Second, the idea to be able to allow gamers to swing fluently throughout New York ( which appears to be the case in gameplay footage ) would be a mechanical breakthrough for gaming. Not only this, but players could go far into depth and immerse themselves as Spiderman with all of the tools available in the game as seen in the small amount of footage alone. As soon as we get an official release date for this game, mark your calendars.
5. God of War: Guys. Guys. GUYS! I’m so pumped for God of War, this game sells itself, especially to anyone who is a true Playstation fanboy like myself. I like the change of scenery for Kratos, even though God of War was an incredibly good series as is, it was time to take the next step in growing Kratos as a character, so you know what they do? Give him a son to venture with. Yes, we will see the God of War himself bond with his son as they kill Norse demi-gods and creatures and something about that is very exciting to me. Have you seen the gameplay footage? Check it out, seriously.
So there you have it, guys, before I close this off I do want to say I would’ve added Last of Us Part 2 if it had a booth at PSX, so don’t be angry with me for not including it! But anyway, be on the lookout for some of these game’s release dates, because you will want to get your hands on them!
Until Next Time