- To the delight of D23 fans, Emily Blunt, the star of Disneyâ€™s sequel â€œMary Poppins Returns,â€ took to the stage with director/producer Rob Marshall to talk about the eagerly-anticipated return of the practically-perfect nanny. In this original musical sequel to the 1964 â€œMary Poppins,â€Â Mary and her friend Jack, an optimistic street lamplighterÂ played by Lin-Manuel Miranda, embark on entirely new adventures withÂ the next generation of the Banks family to help them find the joy and wonder missing in their lives.
Blunt and Marshall answered questions from Sean Bailey, with Blunt offering insight on how she made the character her own. â€œI needed to try to pay homage to Julie Andrews, but carve out a new space for myself,â€ said Blunt. â€œAnd we were very loyal to the books.â€ Rob Marshall shared, â€œI was incredibly honored to be approached by Disney about directing a sequel. This is a brand-new original film musical from top to bottom, which is very rare, and it is a wonderful opportunity to create something specifically for the screen.â€ D23 attendees were then treated to an exclusive first look at the film, which was accompanied by a live orchestra performing original new music from the film conducted by composer Marc Shaiman, eliciting thunderous applause.
P.L. Travers first introduced the world to the no-nonsense nanny in her 1934 childrenâ€™s book â€œMary Poppins.â€ However, the subsequent adventures of Mary Poppins remained only on the pages of the seven other P.L. Traversâ€™ booksâ€¦until now. â€œMary Poppins Returnsâ€ is drawn from the wealth of material in these additional books.Â The film also starsÂ Ben Whishaw as Michael Banks, Emily Mortimer as Jane Banks, Julie Walters as the Banksâ€™ housekeeper Ellen, with Colin Firth as Fidelity Fiduciaryâ€™s William Weatherall Wilkins and Meryl Streep as Maryâ€™s eccentric cousin Topsy. Angela Lansbury appears as the Balloon LadyÂ andÂ Dick Van Dyke as Mr. Dawes Jr., the retired chairman of the bank now run by Firthâ€™s character. â€œMary Poppins Returnsâ€ is directed by Rob Marshall. The screenplay is by David Magee and the screen story is by Magee & Marshall & John DeLuca based on The Mary Poppins Stories by P.L. Travers. The producers are Marshall, DeLuca and Marc Platt with Callum McDougall serving as executive producer, and the music is by Marc Shaiman with songs by Shaiman and Scott Wittman. â€œMary Poppins Returnsâ€ will be released in U.S. theaters on Dec. 25, 2018.
- Bailey confirmed and revealed new films underway at the studio:
- â€œMulan,â€ a live-action take on Disneyâ€™s 1998 feature, which will be helmed by Niki Caro (â€œMcFarland, USA,â€ â€œWhale Riderâ€).
- â€œJungle Cruise,â€ a live-action nod to the popular theme park ride.Â The studio is working with Dwayne Johnson, recently heard as Maui in â€œMoana,â€ on the project.
- â€œAladdin,â€ directed by Guy Ritchie, with Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine and Will Smith as the Genie.
- D23 Expo 2017 fans were greeted from across the pond by visionary filmmaker Tim Burton, who is busy directing his next projectâ€”a live-action reimagining of Disneyâ€™s 1941 animated classic â€œDumbo.â€Â â€œâ€™Dumboâ€™ was always one of my favorite Disney films,â€ said Burton. â€œWeâ€™re trying to give it the same heart, feeling and emotion that we all loved about the original.â€
The film stars Colin Farrell as Holt Farrier, a former circus star and war-veteran charged with the care of a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock of an already struggling circus. Nico Parker and Finley Hobbins were cast as Holtâ€™s children, who discover that Dumbo can fly. Danny DeVito portrays circus owner Max Medici who tries to capitalize on the novelty. And Michael Keaton is persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere who swoops in with aerial artist Colette Marchant, portrayed by Eva Green, to make Dumbo a star.
â€œDumboâ€ is slated for release on March 29, 2019. Katterli Frauenfelder, Derek Frey, Ehren Kruger and Justin Springer are producing from a screenplay by Kruger. Filmed entirely in England, â€œDumboâ€ is utilizing state-of-the-art visual effects to portray the big-eared elephant and many of his animal counterparts.
- Alan Horn joined Bailey to surprise the D23 Expo crowd with a special look at director Jon Favreauâ€™s new live-action take on Disneyâ€™s 1994 classic animated film â€œThe Lion King.â€ The technology team behind the movie are introducing all-new filmmaking techniques that promise striking visuals never before seen on the big screenâ€”bringing celebrated characters to life in a whole new way.
Favreau, who was behind 2016â€™s blockbuster live-action remake of â€œThe Jungle Book,â€ joined Bailey on stage. â€œThis is a story that belongs to everyone who grew up with the original film,â€ said Favreau. â€œI wanted to demonstrate that we could be respectful of the source material while bringing it to life using new techniques and technologies. We wanted to do something special for the D23 Expo audience and give them a first look at what weâ€™re up to.â€
â€œThe Lion Kingâ€ is one of the biggest animated films of all time with a lifetime global box office gross of $968.8 million. It won Academy AwardsÂ® for the original song â€œCan You Feel the Love Tonightâ€ (Elton John, Tim Rice) and original score (Hans Zimmer). In 1997, the stage production inspired by the film made its Broadway debut, subsequently winning six TonyÂ® Awards; 19 years later, it remains one of Broadwayâ€™s biggest hits.
Starring Donald Glover as Simba, and James Earl Jones asâ€”naturallyâ€”Mufasa, Favreauâ€™s live-action version of â€œThe Lion Kingâ€ is slated for theaters on July 19, 2019. Favreau, Jeffrey Silver and Karen Gilchrist are producing.
Alan Horn welcomed Rian Johnson, the writer and director of the latest chapter in the Skywalker saga, â€œStar Wars: The Last Jedi.â€ Â Johnson thrilled the audience by introducing talent from the film, including Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro.Â The audience was then treated to a special sneak peek of behind-the-scenes footage from the highly anticipated movie.
In Lucasfilmâ€™s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.
The movie stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyongâ€™o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is written and directed by Rian Johnson. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman are producing, with J.J. Abrams, Tom Karnowski and Jason McGatlin serving as executive producers. Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on Dec. 15, 2017.
- For the finale, Horn brought Kevin Feige to the stage for Marvel Studiosâ€™ â€œAvengers:Â Â Â Infinity War.â€ Â To start the ball rolling, Feige unveiled the Marvel Studiosâ€™ official 10th anniversary logo to the excited audience. Marvel Studiosâ€™ 10th anniversary begins with the release of â€œAvengers: Infinity Warâ€ and covers an impressive decade of Marvel Studiosâ€™ blockbusters released from 2008 through the â€œAvengersâ€ untitled film in 2019. In celebration of the anniversary, fans can expect exclusive consumer products and collectibles, along with in-theater events and much more in the coming months.
Then, in a surprise for all that brought the house down, talent from the film made a grand entrance, including Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Mackie, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman, Josh Brolin, Don Cheadle, Sebastian Stan, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan and Pom Klementieff.Â To top it all off, the thrilled fans got an exclusive early look at footage from the movie, introduced by Joe Russo, one of the directors.
An unprecedented cinematic journey ten years in the making and spanning the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel Studiosâ€™ â€œAvengers: Infinity Warâ€ brings to the screen the ultimate, deadliest showdown of all time. The Avengers and their Super Hero allies must be willing to sacrifice all in an attempt to defeat the powerful Thanos before his blitz of devastation and ruin puts an end to the universe.
Anthony and Joe Russo direct the film, which is produced by Kevin Feige. Louis Dâ€™Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Michael Grillo and Stan Lee are the executive producers. Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely wrote the screenplay. â€œAvengers: Infinity Warâ€ releases in U.S. theaters on May 4, 2018.