On July 31, 2012, respected Punker, Tony Sly (No Use For a Name) passed away peacefully in his sleep at frightfully young age of 41. He is survived by his wife Brigitte, their two daughters Fiona and Keira, his brothers Mike and Jonathan Sly, and his parents Pauline and John Sly.
In the rightful honor of his passing, Slyâ€™s close friend and fellow musician/owner of the San Francisco-based punk label Fat Wreck Chords, Fat Mike (NOFX) has just released â€˜The Songs of Tony Sly: A Tributeâ€™
The lengthy twenty six track commemoration cover album features bands such as Rise Against, NOFX, Yellowcard, Simple Plan, Bad Religion, The Bouncing Souls, Frank Turner and many more doing their own renditions of ‘No Use For A Name’ songs.
The Gaslight Anthem‘s Brian Fallon is just one of many musicians who offers a reflective cover of the late Sly, doing â€˜Capo 4th Fretâ€™
Fallon‘s rendition, which premieres at USA TODAY, features sparse instrumentation, nothing more than acoustic guitar and harmonica. It ends with the fitting lyric, “I will live for the sake of others, so they can do the same.”
To me Capo says, “I’m trying… I’m doing my best, but it’s hard sometimes. I’m only kinda hanging on here.” I was having a rough time when I recorded it. It was hard to do it and I put it off for a while because I didn’t want to deal with why I was recording it. It wasn’t because it was fun, or I was just recording some cool song I liked. I knew it was a tribute. I knew something wasn’t here anymore, and that’s why we were doing this. If I didn’t record the song, then I could pretend it didn’t happen. But that’s not real. What’s real is why we’re all doing it, and we’re doing it in Tony’s honor, and to comfort. Like the song says. “I will live for the sake of others, so they can do the same.” I just kept thinking about Joey, and Tony’s kids. I don’t even know Tony’s kids. But when I sat down to record it, I did it for them. I hope they like it.”
ALL profits from the sale of the album will go towards the Tony Sly Memorial Fund which has been
established to assist Sly’s wife, Brigitte, and their daughters, Fiona and Keira.
Those of you unable to contribute financially, but still wanting to show support, can send letters and share memories of Tony with his family by writing to: Tony Sly Memorial, PO Box 54405, San Jose, CA 95154.
Make sure you support Sly and the fam-bam by picking up the album HERE!
The Songs of Tony Sly: A Tribute track listing:
01. Karina Denike – “Biggest Lie”
02. Mad Caddies – “AM”
03. Strung Out – “Soulmate”
04. Rise Against – “For Fiona”
05. Bad Religion – “Let It Slide”
06. NOFX – “The Shortest Pier”
07. Snuff – “On The Outside”
08. The Bouncing Souls – “Homecoming”
09. Old Man Markley – “Feel Good Song of the Year”
10. Lagwagon – “Discomfort Inn”
11. Teenage Bottlerocket – “Via Munich”
12. Frank Turner – “Keira”
13. Get Dead – “Premedicated Murder”
14. Pennywise – “Devonshire and Crown”
15. Alkaline Trio – “Straight from the Jacket”
16. Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem – “Capo 4th Fret”
17. Yellowcard – “Already Won”
18. Swingin’ Utters – “Not Your Savoir”
19. The Flatliners – “Fireball”
20. Simple Plan – “Justified Black Eye”
21. Useless ID – “Frances Stewart”
22. Jon Snodgrass & the Dead Peasants – “On The Outside”
23. American Steel – “Dark Corner”
24. Frenzal Rhomb – “Flying South”
25. Anti-Flag – “Toaster in the Bathtub”
26. Joey Cape with Scorpios – International You Day”