iPhone 5 is already being called the most anticipated electronic device of 2012. We are waiting for the press conference to start to give you live coverage of Apple’s press conference atÂ The Lam Research Theater at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco,CA. The fun starts at 10am PDT.
We have learned from an accidental leaks from Apple that the phone will be called the iPhone 5 and feature 4G LTE. We will also see some new iPods in todays conference.
Live Blog: Apple iPhone Press Conference
– The doors are open and we are waiting for the press conference to start.
– Checking the Apple store website and it is down
– We are starting Tim Cook is taking the stage
– “We’ve got some really cool stuff to show you” Cook said.
– Cook is showing the new store in Barcelona
– Cook is now talking about Mac sales
– Talking about the Retina display #1 in the USA
– Cook is currently talking about the iPad selling 17 million last quarter
– iPad owns 62% of the tablet market
– Cook says 91% of use iPad for web traffic
– iPad in 94% of Fortune 500 companies
– Now talking about the Apps with Cook saying that people are using a 100 apps. (Yeah right let me see someone with 100 apps on their device)
– Now to the iPhone
– the official name iPhone 5
– PhilÂ Schiller: the hardware and software engineering that has gone into this product is the most challenging.
-18% thinner with a metal back
-Â Retina Display 326 pixels per inch (same as old model). New screen – 4-inch display.
-Â Pixels 1136 x 640
– 16 x 9 aspect ratio
-Â 5-day week view in calendar. Also iWork apps all re-done to work with the bigger display.
– Now showing iLife apps
– He is showing a DJ App and CNN news app
-Â Schiller says. 44% more color saturation than iPhone 4S. Now takes us to sRGB display spec.
-Â Touch sensors are now built into the display itself. 30% thinner as a result, also makes display less prone to glare.
-Â GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA. Now: HDPA+, DC-HSPDA, and LTE
-Â LTE has a single chip for voice and data, single radio chip, and a “dynamic antenna” Started with the iPhone 4S, and can now switch antenna connections between different networks.
– LTEÂ Sprint, AT&T, Verizon.
– 802.11 a/b/g/n, 802.11n 2.4GHz & 5GHz up to 150Mbps
– A6 chip
-Â 2x faster than the A5. 2x faster in graphics too
-Â Huge jump in performance, but 22% smaller than A5 chip, Schiller says.
– They are showing Real Racing 3 game and the graphics are very nice
– Schiller returns to the stage
-Â Schiller says the battery life is now 8 hrs 3G talktime, 3G browsing. 8hrs LTE browsing, 10 hrs Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hrs video, 40 hours Music. 225 hrs of standby.
– iSight CameraÂ 8 megapixel sensor, 3264×2448 resolution w/backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, five-element lens, f2.4 aperture. 25 percent smaller.
– New dynamic Low light
– New Panorama Mode
-Â 1080p video, the stabilization has improved. Face detection for 10 people, and now you can take photos while you’re shooting video
-Â Now FaceTime HD camera with 720p support, backside illuminated sensor, and FaceTime works over 3G with iOS 6.
-Â Audio system: three microphones (up from 2) one on the bottom, one on the front, and one on the back.
-Â Schiller says. New feature called “Wideband audio.”
– New connector “Lightning”
-Â All-digital, 8-signal design
-Â 80% smaller — huge difference, Schiller says
-Â 30 pin to Lightning adapter will let you plug in your 30 pin connector and use with a Lightning plug.
– Now to iOS 6
– Schiller showing turn by turn directions
– Showing flyover and now showing safari
– Now Passbook which is the companies virtual wallet
– Now they are talking about Siri and its updates
– All the updates that was shown earlier this year when they announced iOS 6
– That is it about iOS 6 with 200 new features
– The new iPhone is available in White and Black.Â The aluminum on the black is called “slate”
– They are currently showing video of how the phone functions
– iPhone pricingÂ $199 for 16GB,Â $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB
-Â pre-order Sept. 14th and Sept. 21 to be sold in stores
– Tim Cook is back out talking music
– New iTunes redesign
– Comes with iOS 6 on Sept. 19
– iCloud is built into iTunes
– Looks like the iTunes mobile product.
– All the iTunes talk is over
– iTunes to be available in October
– Talking about the new iPod
– First the Nano
-Â 5.4mm thick, 40% thinner
-Â FM tuner built-in with live pause
-Â Lightning connector plugs in on the bottom left side.Â 30 hours of music playback.
– Bluetooth in the Nano
– iPod Touch with new longer screen
– Faster A5x processor on the new iPod Touch
-Â 40 hours of music, 8 hours of video battery life
-Â mic, flash. 5 megapixel w/backside illumination, hybrid IR filter, five-element lens, f/2.4 aperture, w/autofocus, and Sapphire crystal
-Â Hidden button for a new feature called the “iPod Touch loop” wrist strap.
-Â Video specs: shoots 1080p video, front camera does FaceTime HD w/720p
-Â Â Bluetooth 4.0 w/LE, 802.11 a/b/g/n, same as iPhone 5
– Siri on iPod touch and Apple TV, Airplay
– New different colors for iPod Touch
– Now talking about the new Earbuds called “EarPods”
– Ships as a stand alone accessory and are included in all the new products.
-Â 2GB shuffle $49. iPod Nano- 16GB $149, iPod Touch 16GB $199, 32GB for $249
-Â 32GB Touch for $249
-Â NEW iPod Touch 32GB is $299, 64GB is $399
– Nano and touch available in October
-Â “When you look at each of these, they are incredible industry leading innovations by themselves. But what sets them apart, and what puts Apple way out ahead of the competition is how they work so well together. Only Apple could create such amazing software hardware and services and put them together into such a powerful, integrated solution. Apple has never been stronger, and that’s because of the dedication of our employees… they are doing the best work of their lives,” Â said Tim Cook.
-Â Whenever we have a music event, we like to remind ourselves and our customers of why we do what we do, and there’s no better way to do that then to have one of our favorite musical artists to perform.” Foo Fighters
– Foo Fighters playing “Times Like These” and “My Hero”
-Â “One of the great things about being here is beging able to meet all the people, the great people that are shaping our future,” said Dave Grohl. “And just like when you get to meet someone like Little Richard, or Tom Petty, or Jimmy Page, you realize these are just people who took it upon themselves to do something different and change our world. … they’re just flesh and bone, they’re just people, and it’s totally inspiring.”
– They go into song number three “Walk.” Grohl says,Â “This song’s about starting over.”
– Tim Cook is back on the stage saying thank you and the press conference has ended. Thank you for following the press conference.